Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Google Shopping Express

Google Shopping Express

Google Shopping Express App

Google Shopping Express is a new idea for Google.  It only began in Spring of 2013 and appears to be direct competition for Amazon same-day delivery.  Utilizing local and participating stores, Google Shopping has expanded to offer express delivery of things from the stores in surrounding area.  For now, the idea is limited to San Francisco, the Peninsula, and the South Bay, but if the trial is a success, it will be rolled out to additional cities in the US.

Being a hardcore Google fan-boy, I felt that it was my duty to install and review the program.  And I am fortunate to live in the beta testing area. Admittedly, considering Google's Shopping experience, I was skeptical as to whether Express would be worth the while, but so far I am impressed.

Search

If anyone knows Search, it's Google.  This is the most comprehensive search I've had the please of using, while simultaneously not overwhelming the user.  Of course it's also possible to just filter down to what you're looking for.

I've been able to search for the product exactly, or by just one word, or by the concept.  I have yet to search by color or scent, but it seems that Google tried to make sure that I will find what I want, even if I don't know what I want.

Payment

Utilizing both the app and the web, Google requires that you register a credit or debit card, although if you have already signed up for Google Wallet you're probably set.

Delivery

It's an impressive feat, to be sure.  Although realistically, it's no different than asking a servant to retrieve something for you.  At least in the US where servants are paid for their services, Google is not for the first six months that you use Shopping Express. And you will have to live in the SF Peninsula or San Jose South Bay areas.

The primary difference, that I have noticed, in having a Google-paid courier service pickup your delivery and a servant is that courier doesn't have much to do with the rest of his / her day.  On a visit to the Sunnyvale downtown shopping center, I noticed hoards of Google Express Shopping couriers loitering about the garage.  Most of them are resting in their vehicles, but I can't imagine that it's a great use of time to just wait about for something to happen.

Conclusion

Alas, this is still just another Google Beta program.  The goal it would seem is to find the happy medium between same-day delivery and the analytics involved.  Google is all about analysis, although they are primarily an advertising company, the rest of the time (and money) goes to research.

I heard recently someone comparing Google to the IBM of yester-year.  It's a large company with mountains of money and a gross percentage of highly intelligent employees. Often it's not apparent what the most brilliant minds in the world are thinking about, but they occasionally come to some spectacular conclusions.  Here's to hoping that the Google think-tank can find that brilliant idea.



No comments:

Post a Comment