Saturday, May 11, 2013

Facebook's App: A Series of Unfortunate Events


At first I was excited that Facebook was making an app for Android.  I thought, "hey, I can finally gain access to this site on my phone with an interface that works with the diminutive screen".  Yes, I could access the very popular social media site on-the-go, but that was the actual extent of the benefits.  The new features did not increase my appreciation of the site.

Sadly one of the first things that Facebook did to my phone was corrupt my contacts.  I noticed one day that some of the avatars of my friends who did not have Facebook accounts, suddenly had the avatars of people who did.  And then when I tried to repair the problem it became worse.  I started losing contacts or the merge feature began to corrupt them.  So I uninstalled the Facebook app.

But I came back.  A few months later I read that the contacts issue has been resolved and I gave Facebook another try.  Unfortunately, this time the problems were not so obvious.  Facebook released another app called Messenger. So I tried it too.  The app didn't appear to have many problems but seemed to need several updates.  I don't dislike many updates to fix problems, but they managed to "fix" messenger so that I could not turn off notifications. So I uninstalled the Facebook Messenger app.

Now I am on the verge of removing the Facebook app yet again, not because of any glaringly obvious corruption, but because I cannot turn off notifications from the messenger-part of the app.  Sure I can turn them off for a while, or during my time in using the app, but not indefinitely.  Maybe time (or the ire of users) will lead Facebook to change this "feature", but for now I may be off the wagon, yet again.

What about the Facebook App do you like / dislike?

No comments:

Post a Comment