Saturday, September 29, 2012

Struggling to [ab]use Unlimited Data

I was so excited about T-Mobile opening up the pipes and allowing a nearly unlimited flow of data.  Realistically there is a definite amount of data that could be use by any account holder; that being the full bore for all time of the billing cycle.  Alas, I've never had more than 15 Mb/s download speeds in any location, so effectively the maximum I could acquire is roughly 5TB.  In any case, my usage did not come anywhere close to that this month.

I expected that I might blaze a trail of downloads and internet streaming services with the new pipe.  I immediately stopped using WiFi at home and work for the audio streaming and podcast services that I listen to.  I moved to using streaming audio in the car at all times.  I went out of my way to download files on my phone including two full length Google Play movies, and even tested the waters of Mobile Hotspot sharing.  In all my activities between September 12 and the end of my billing cycle, I managed to use a whopping 5GB combined data throughput.

Alas, I feel dumbfounded that I cannot burn a hole in my digital pocket like some, but there are many more months of testing to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment